Monday, August 4, 2014

The Purge

No, this is not about that disgusting movie in theaters right now where people have 12 hours to commit any crime with no consequences.  What a ridiculous concept and if that ever happens here I'm moving out of country.

This is about a huge accomplishment...at least in my house.  I crossed a huge to-do off my list and that was to purge my closet and dresser.  And holy crap was I successful.  I have removed 218 items from my life that I can't believe I've let clog my space for the past few years.  The last time I did a huge purge was right after the April 2011 tornadoes.  There was no thought put into it or trying stuff on in that situation.  We just threw stuff in bags knowing many people were instantly homeless, practically in our backyard.  More about that here: Volunteering in Tuscaloosa, AL.  This time I weighed my options.  My body has undenyingly gone through many changes over the past 3 years.  When I was pregnant I remember thinking 'I've always been pretty thin, I'll have no problem getting back to my original size without even trying.  I'll be one of the lucky ones.'  WRONG!  My new bazoombas have left me wondering what day in my life I'll choose to go through with a reduction.  And my non-hips pretty much said peace out around June 2012.  I got tired of squeezing freshly clean clothes between and on top of non-fitting, untouched clean clothes.  So after 3 days of chafing my body with too tight outfits I got rid of 103 shirts, 42 pants/capris/shorts, 15 dresses, 11 pairs of shoes, 3 suits, 3 slips (who wears those anymore anyways), 2 skirts, 2 scarves, 1 blazer and a few other onesie, twosie items.  Oh yea, and 1 leotard from that year in college I took ballet with a bunch of other 20-year-olds who had never taken ballet either.  I got one additional use out of it when it became part of my dancing bug costume for Halloween my 5th year.  My closet can now breathe and my dresser drawers are now light enough for Eva to open.  Great.  As I looked at the enormous pile of perfectly good clothes I really had the urge to make some money off of them, but I'm always reminded of how horrible an experience our one and only garage sale down here was.  I don't want to re-live that.  So off it all goes to those less fortunate.

Purging in many ways always feels so much better after the fact even if you feel guilty while doing it.  Purging "friends" from Facebook, purging negative people from your life, purging unused stuff from your home or purging time-wasting activities from your life to replace with fun or healthy new ones always feels so refreshing once it's complete and the guilt is gone.  The one kind of purging I don't recommend is that whole food from your stomach type.  Let's just keep that in there and let it come out the natural way.  So thank you to Eva for being a bit bored last week being stuck in my bedroom while I tried on endless piles of clothes.  Thanks to Joe for letting me take over his bedroom bench where he puts on his socks so I could stack my crap.  And thanks to the donation truck that will be taking 9 garbage bags off my hands today.  It's been real, clothes, but it's time to let some other skinny bitch wear you.  Those days are over.  I'm looking at the positive.  If I ever get back to that size I'll just have to go on a really big shopping spree!

On a side note, you may have noticed I have come up with a new name for my blog: My Groggy Bloggy.  If I am ever writing it is most likely because I am sacrificing sleep to sit down and write.  So whatever you read was done in a groggy state of mind.  And "bloggy" clearly isn't a word, but when you're exhausted (especially if you're me) you don't verbally speak very eloquently, thus mumbling and creating new words.  So there you have it.  I hope you continue to enjoy my groggy bloggy.

Most of the 218 items




9 bags off to the donation truck
Dancing Bug (bye-bye leotard)

1 comment:

  1. Dancing Bug for the win.
    Yay, cleaning out and donating!

    ReplyDelete